THE DAIRY KITCHEN Rosemary Pork Skewers with Macadamia and Buttermilk Potato Salad
By THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Preparation 25 MINS
Cooking 30 MINS
Marinating pork or chicken in buttermilk is a great trick for achieving really tender, juicy meat. It also makes a great low fat creamy salad dressing.
Ingredients1 cup buttermilk
3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 clove garlic, crushed
360g lean pork fillet , cut into 1.5cm cubes
300g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
300g orange sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 sticks celery, finely sliced
4 radishes, finely sliced
2 tablespoons 2cm long pieces snipped chives
2 tablespoons macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted
Marinating pork or chicken in buttermilk is a great trick for achieving really tender, juicy meat. It also makes a great low fat creamy salad dressing. Next time you're making any potato salad try substituting half the potato for sweet potato to lower the GI of the overall dish.
Nutrition (per serve)
|Dietry Fibre (g)||4.2|
|Fat Total (g)||7.7|
- In a shallow dish combine 1/2 cup buttermilk with the rosemary and garlic. Add the pork, cover and chill for at least one hour or overnight.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan with cold water to cover by at least 3 cm. Bring to the boil and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked . Drain and cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the remaining buttermilk with mustard, vinegar and pepper to taste. Gently toss potatoes, celery, radishes, chives and dressing in a large bowl until evenly coated.
- Lift the pork from the marinade and shake off excess. Discard marinade. Thread pork onto skewers and cook on a medium-hot grill, for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- To serve, sprinkle salad with nuts and alongside pork skewers.