THE DAIRY KITCHEN Spiced Oatcakes with Sour Cherries and Camembert
By THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Preparation 15 MINS
Cooking 15 MINS
These biscuits make the perfect healthy snack to help you through the day with a wedge of cheese or they can be served as part of a cheese platter with sour cheerries
Ingredients2 cups oat bran
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
75g butter, softened
1/2 cup water
Greek-style sour cherries in syrup* or chopped fresh cherries, for serving
1 wheel ripe camembert, at room temperature, for serving
* Greek-style sour cherries in syrup are available in jars from continental delicatessens and specialty food stores. Store leftover oatcakes in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Combine oat bran, flour, baking powder, salt, spice and sugar in a large bowl.
- Heat butter and water in a small saucepan until just melted, stir into dry ingredients using a metal spoon. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead mixture together with hands until pliable.
- Divide dough into 3 portions and roll out each portion to a 5mm thickness. Using a 5cm fluted cutter, cut out biscuits and transfer to a baking paper lined oven tray.
- Bake oatcakes at 180°C for 15-20 minutes or until just golden and transfer to a wire rack for cooling.
- Serve oatcakes topped with a wedge of cheese and a sour cherry.