THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Coconut Lime Cake with Lime Curd & Cream Cheese Frosting, Lychees and Passionfruit
By THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Preparation 45 MINS
Cooking 45 MINS
Layers of lime coconut cake sandwiched with lime curd and encased in a cream cheese frosting make this cake insanely spectacular and a massive hit with a crowd.
Coconut Lime Cake280g plain flour
10g baking powder
125 ml oil
10ml coconut essence
finely grated rind of 1 large lime
7 eggs, separated
pinch cream of tartar, optional
Lime Curd60g butter
120g sugar, extra
2 eggs, lightly beaten
finely grated rind of 2 limes
80ml lime juice
Cream Cheese Frosting500g spreadable cream cheese
40g icing sugar
40ml thickened cream (35% milk fat)
To Decorate50g shredded coconut
1 x 560g can lychees, well drained
pulp of 2 passionfruit
1 kaffir lime leaf, finely shredded, for garnish
Tip: Straining the lemon curd is only recommended if there is visible cooked egg protein in the lime curd. Otherwise, refrigerate until required. Lime curd and cream cheese frosting can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated until required.
- To make the cake, combine flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Lightly whisk oil, water, coconut essence, lime rind and egg yolks in a jug till combined and whisk into the dry ingredients until smooth.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites through the cake mixture with a large metal spoon. Fold through the remaining egg whites. Pour mixture into 2 buttered and base-lined 20cm round cake pans. Bake at 165°C for 45 minutes or until golden and cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool completely.
- To make the lime curd, microwave butter and extra sugar on high for 1 minute. Stir well. Whisk eggs, lime juice and rind in a separate bowl until combined. Quickly whisk egg mixture into the hot butter mixture. Microwave on high for 3 minutes until thick, whisking at 1 minute intervals. Strain through a fine sieve, cool and refrigerate until well chilled.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, beat cream cheese until just smooth. Add icing sugar and beat until combined. Add cream and beat until just combined. Refrigerate until required.
- To assemble cake, remove a thin slice from the cake tops, if required, so they are flat. Place cake on a serving platter. Combine 1/3 cup lime curd and 1/3 cup of cream cheese frosting and spread over the top of base layer. Top with remaining cake and ice the top and sides with the remaining cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle coconut liberally over the top and sides of the cake and garnish with lychees, passionfruit and lime leaf. Chill for 30 minutes before serving, with remaining lime curd.