THE DAIRY KITCHEN Simple Homemade Cheese & Zucchini Pie
By THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Preparation 20 MINS
Cooking 40 MINS
This mild and tasty cheesy zucchini pie will be an absolute favourite with the whole family! If you're a bit daunted by the effort of filo, then this recipe is a great starting point, we've made it super easy to handle.
Ingredients500g (3 medium) zucchini, grated
250g (1 cup) fresh ricotta cheese
125g (1 cup) grated haloumi
4 spring onions, chopped
4 eggs, lightly beaten
10 sheets filo pastry
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
10 (1/2 punnet) cherry tomatoes
There's no need to worry about broken filo or being neat when overlapping the sheets, the more crinkles and ruffles in the pastry the more crispy fluffy bits in your final pie! You can butter each piece of filo if you wish, but we've found it still works out well even if you don't!
- Place zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Stand for 15 minutes and squeeze zucchini to release excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Combine ricotta, haloumi, zucchini, spring onions and eggs until well mixed.
- Spray a 24cm round pie or baking dish with olive oil. Split the filo into five piles of two sheets. Place each pile of filo sheets in an overlapping pattern centred over the pie dish with excess overhanging the edge. No need to spray sheets with oil or to be neat here!
- Spoon the filling into the dish. Fold up the over hanging filo to form a lid for the pie. Spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with sesame and poppy seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180°C before adding the tomatoes on top and cooking for a further 10-15 minutes or until filo has browned and filling is set. Cover with foil if filo is becoming too brown. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before cutting.